Q: I want to agree to receive a lower child support payment than what the Child Support Agency has currently assessed me to receive – is that possible?

A: This is possible and can be done by the parties entering into an agreement known as a Binding Child Support Agreement.  But it is important to note that if you are entitled to a Government Benefit, such as a Family Tax Benefit or Parenting Payment, the government will not make up the shortfall. The Child Support Agency will create a notional assessment and you will be treated as if you are in receipt of the child support calculated under that notional assessment.