Q: What happens with Child Support when my child turns 18?

A: If you receive child support and your child is turning 18 and is in full time secondary education, you can apply to extend your child support assessment until the last day of the school year in which your child turns 18.

If you are thinking of doing this, it is important to know that you have to apply for the extension before the child’s 18th birthday in order to receive child support. Unless you have exceptional circumstances for not applying before your child’s 18th birthday, your child support payment will cease.